Youth Arts Voice Scotland
Young Arts Ambassador Role Description
Youth Arts Voice Scotland is a group of young people aged 13-25 who play a crucial role in shaping the future of arts for young people in Scotland. They are recruited from around Scotland, and meet together 4 times a year to fulfil the aims and objectives of the project.
All young people in Scotland will have equal opportunity and access to all art forms.
- Communicate a balanced voice of Scotland’s young people by co-ordinating with the Hubs and other art organisations
- Support and stimulate Scotland’s young people at all stages in their creative journey
- Support young people to overcome barriers and become involved.
- Support the development and ambition of young people already involved in the arts.
- To inspire young people to discover the arts.
- To promote the benefits of arts involvement.
- To celebrate the range of talent in Scotland’s youth.
Read more about YAVS here:
Read more about the National Youth Arts Strategy here:
Young Arts Ambassador Programme
In direct support of Youth Arts Voice Scotland, we are looking for young people aged 13-25 to become Arts Ambassadors, who will play a crucial role in supporting the above impacts.
The Young Arts Ambassador programme is a national group of young people selected to provide a local voice for young people in the arts. The Young Arts Ambassador programme is led by Young Scot, the national youth information and citizenship charity and in partnership with Creative Scotland, the national public body that supports the arts, screen and creative industries. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to ensure Scotland’s younger generation play an active role in influencing and shaping the future of Arts in Scotland, and raising the profile of creativity. Being part of the Young Arts Ambassador programme provides members with the opportunity to play a key role in the future of Scottish arts.
Applications are open to young people aged between 13 and 25, who live in the pilot areas. If you are passionate about the arts and want to make a difference, you are encouraged to apply to become a member of the Youth Arts Ambassador Programme.
Pilot areas will be:-
Aberdeen and North East; Argyll, Ayrshire; Edinburgh; Fife; Glasgow; Highlands; Moray; Scottish Borders; West Dunbartonshire; Western Isles.
What will I get to do?
As part of Scotland’s pioneering Arts Ambassadors, you will work directly with Young Scot and Creative Scotland to:
- Increasing awareness and local participation in the arts
- Promoting the values of Time to Shine
- Being a role model and advocate for arts activity
- Being the young peoples’ voice on the arts in their communities
- Identifying locations and events in your local arts hubs
- Record your activities using online blogs and video diaries
- Feed back to local support mechanisms and to YAVS
The YAAs would work within their local area to increase the profile of arts opportunities, and encourage improved access to the arts for young people of all backgrounds and ability.
At the end of the first year, we would hold a major showcase event where all the YAAs will come together with key stakeholders, Scottish Government Ministers etc. to showcase the work they have done, and the impact they have had in challenging perceptions and encouraging involvement of young people in the Arts.
How will this benefit me?
Being a member of this group will provide you with:
- Formal and informal training and accreditation opportunities
- Increased confidence and a sense of empowerment
- Development of communication skills
- An opportunity to advocate on behalf of your friends and peers, group or community.
- An opportunity to work with creative industry professionals
- Increased employability.
What do I need?
Young Arts Ambassadors will be aged 13-25, and living in the pilot areas. You will also have:
- Enthusiasm and knowledge for the arts and creativity.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to take on board the views of others in a way that doesn’t judge or discriminate.
- Flexibility and willingness to regularly travel across your area.
- Commitment to attend Young Arts Ambassador events and training across Scotland.
- A willingness to fulfil a minimum 12 month commitment in this role.
Click to download your application form here: Young arts ambassadors app form
Deadline for Applications: Monday 8th June 2015
Please return application forms to email@example.com
Interviews: Mon 6 July 2015 – Edinburgh
Mon 13 July 2015 – Glasgow
Training: End July tbc
Residential: 2-4 Oct 2015
Jodie Fleming / Outreach & Engagement Manager
0131 313 2488
Rosebery House, 9 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5EZ